Our Rail Familiarisation visits are designed with year 5/6 in mind, to help pupils grow the confidence they need to travel independently by train as they prepare to progress to secondary school.
We offer visits along the Severn Beach line each Tuesday from:
Bristol Temple Meads, Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Redland, Clifton Down, Sea Mills, Shirehampton, Avonmouth, Severn Beach
We offer along the Western line each Wednesday to Weston-super-Mare from or Bristol Temple Meads from:
Bedminster, Parson Street, Nailsea & Backwell, Yatton, Worle, Weston Milton, Highbridge & Burnham, Bridgewater, Filton Abbey Wood, Bristol Parkway
We offer visits along the Heart of Wessex line each Thursday to Bradford-on-Avon from:
Keynsham, Oldfield Park, Bath Spa
Here is an opportunity to bring your pupils to their local railway station where our rail ambassadors will talk them through the essentials of travelling independently by train. Our aim is that pupils grow an understanding of how to be a safe, smart and sustainable travellers, and have grow confidence to travel unaccompanied as they progress to secondary school. Designed with year 5/6 in mind the programme covers the following:
- Being safe at the station
- Finding help at the station
- Safely boarding and disembarking the train
- Finding a seat or a safe place to stand
- What to do if you see something suspicious
- Contacting the British Transport Police via their text message service
- Journey Planning
- Sources of information on and off the station, including:
- Help Points
- Audio Messages
- Paper Timetables
- Station Staff
- Internet and Smart Phone Apps
- When and where to purchase your ticket
- An introduction to rail as a sustainable mode of transport.
- A sense of the social, environmental and climate impact over alternative transport choices.
Any school within easy reach of a local station listed below may apply to bring their year 6 pupils on a free of charge Rail Familiarisation Visit
Weston Line – Parson Street, Bedminster, Nailsea and Backwell, Yatton, Worle, Weston Milton, Weston-super-Mare, Highbridge and Burnahm, Bridgwater
Severn Beach Line – Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Redland, Clifton Down, Sea Mills, Shirehampton, Avonmouth, Severn Beach
Heart of Wessex Line – Keynsham, Oldfield Park, Bath Spa
Journeys are taken on off peak rail services, fitting neatly into the usual school day.
If you would like to request a visit(s) for your Year 5 or 6 pupils, please complete the visit request form indicating your preferred date(s)
The Severnside Community Rail Partnership is unable to support transport to and from a local station, other than for pupils with limited mobility. Please indicate of the booking request form if such service is required.
To ensure the visit runs smoothly, please remember the following:
- We are most grateful to GWR for sponsoring the visits allowing pupils to receive a return rail journey free of charge. The success of the visit is dependent on adult support provided by the school and that teacher, support staff and volunteers will support our small team by taking responsibility for the safety, behaviour and timekeeping of the class throughout the visit.
- We ask that the class is divided in to two groups prior to the visit and that each group had a designated adult leader who will remain with the group for the entire visit.
- If the class includes pupils with additional needs please ensure you have liaised with us in advance and that such pupils will be fully supported throughout the visit.
- Most local trains are equipped with a toilet, however on-board toilet facilities cannot be guaranteed.
- Please ensure that pupils are prepared for inclement weather conditions and apply sunscreen before leaving school.
- Please forward a copy of your risk assessment at your earliest convenience at least one week prior to the date of the visit